7.23.2011

Frozen (Greek) Yogurt

We came back this afternoon from a fun and relaxing overnight getaway to the beautiful West Virginia eastern panhandle. We stayed in an old resort and spa in the woods that offered great prices on overnight stays in individual "condo-like" homes. We had our own jacuzzi and great high ceilings with sky lights. We also had access to a beautiful pool on the backdrop of their golf course, which allowed us time to cool off after a morning of playing tennis on their courts. It was so refreshing to be away from work schedules, the demands of home, and the noise of the city. It was quiet, remote, and had beautiful scenery. Needless to say, we had a GREAT time! Sometimes a getaway is just what you need....

With how HOT, HOT, HOT it's been lately, I'm always looking for cool treats to keep on hand. I have a deep love for ice cream, but health-wise, I try to limit myself to ... a few a week... (in the summer!) - I just LOVE ice cream! However, when I'm trying to have a healthier, less expensive, and quick option on hand, I love to freeze Greek yogurt and snack on it whenever I need to cool off.

Greek yogurt is creamy, delicious, and packs much more protein and less sugar than regular yogurt. If you haven't tried it, it's definitely worth trying - once I had it, I was hooked. Another motivation to try it - researchers at Harvard Med recently released a long-term study of which eating habits helped participants lose and maintain, or gain, the most weight. Those who ate yogurt as a daily habit were the most likely to lose and maintain their weight! You can read more about this study here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?emc=eta1.

Here's how to make delicious frozen Greek yogurt - it is truly the easiest frozen snack I've come across!

Frozen Greek Yogurt:

1. Scoop about 1/2 - 1 full cup of Greek yogurt into a cup (depending on how much you'd like to have!). I use Chobani Non-fat Greek Yogurt - that's my favorite. However, there are plenty of other brands out there. I usually get plain yogurt, but sometimes for a treat, I get vanilla, and have found that it makes this frozen yogurt a little more tasty. I use paper cups whenever I have them left over from a party/cookout, but they'd be great in glass or plastic cups, or popsicle makers too!


2. Put the cups in the freezer for an hour or two. (I usually make a few cups and put them in the freezer to grab whenever I'd like.


3. When you're in the mood for a snack, take one out of the freezer, and I find they're best when they are put in the refrigerator for a little while to soften up. I usually leave them there for at least 20-30 minutes before I'm going to eat it.

4. And they are that easy! They are a great after-lunch or dinner snack. I like to eat mine with blueberries - they're a nice balance to the tangy sweetness of the yogurt. Enjoy! (And think of what a creamy, healthy, protein-filled snack you're enjoying!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!