9.20.2011

....3 Weeks Down!

 
Oh, life, slow down!  I am now into week 3 of my seminary Master's program.  I am loving it so far!  I just love the feeling of being in school - the new notebooks, smooth-writing pens, and books, yes, even textbooks (well, at least sometimes).... I just love them all.  I love meeting all the new, friendly people that I will be in classes with, eating quick-microwave leftovers with in between classes, and eventually become some new friends.

Since I love lists (have you noticed?), of course, since school has started, I've been keeping a mental list of what I've learned so far as a seminary student:  (and hopefully, not everything I've learned is actually on this list, or else I haven't been paying attention very well, or you'll be reading for a long time!)

1. When taking public transportation, you just have to be flexible - trains often don't go on schedule, no matter how mad you get!

2.  It is always good to have a few extra snacks along.

3.  Caffeine is wonderful.

4.  So much of life is not clear-cut - whether it be the Bible, lessons from history, or
     politics - most of the time, there are more questions than answers, but it is still worth
     asking the questions.

5.  Ask for help (how many times will this show up on my list!?).
      I have had to ask Ben for help with dishes, making meals, or running extra errands.
      Thankfully, he's been a great help.

6.  Calendars are essential, and sticking to them is even more essential!

7.  Waking up early is worth it.

8.  I was not very disciplined this summer, but I'm realizing pretty quickly that I need to
     develop it again!

9.  There are some incredibly wise, genuine, wonderful people out there in the world,
      especially when you have the time to get to know them.

10.  There is so much to be learned from diversity - in ideas, beliefs, backgrounds,
       ethnicity, and families.

11.  When you're in the right place for you, no matter how tired, "munchy", bored,
        unadjusted, or messy things might get around you, there is still peace.


12.  Poverty is the biggest problem in our modern society - not only in its scale and in the widening gap between the poorest and the wealthiest, but also in the way that we push it to the side to try to ignore it.


I'm excited to share more of my journey through this new stage of life, and many more learnings to come...!

1 comment:

  1. Really good thoughts Rach...it seems like you are such soaking in so much! Oh, and I have been impressed by your discipline/organization. I think your list has things that can apply to all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!